Greek Chicken Pitas1:12 AM
I found this easy recipe for chicken pitas in the crock pot. It turns out so tasty! We go the extra step and make our own pita bread. We've gone too many times to the grocery store only to find that there was no pita bread! So rather than be disappointed and have to change dinner plans, we just make our own.
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1-2 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Please chicken in crock pot. Lay onion over chicken. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat 4 1/2 hours. Break chicken apart with 2 forks. Spoon into warm pita bread halves.
Serve with greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and yogurt sauce.
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In large mixer bowl soften yeast in warm water. Add 2 cups of the flour, the butter and salt. Beat at low speed for 1/2 min. Beat at high speed 3 min. Stir in as much of remaining flour as you can mix in with spoon. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic. Cover; let rest in a warm place about 15 min.
2. Divide into 12 equal portions. Roll each between floured hands into a very smooth ball. Cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth; let rest 10 minutes.
3. On a well-floured surface lightly roll one piece of dough at a time into a 7 in. round, turning dough over once. Do not stretch, puncture, or crease dough. Place on baking sheet.
4. Bake 2 at a time in a 450F oven about 3 min. Turn over and bake 2 min. more.
5. To make whole wheat pita bread, substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups cake flour for the 3 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups cake flour.
1 cup plain yogurt
garlic powder and lemon juice to taste