Home Schooling Begins

12:15 AM

home schooling

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice, suggestions, and websites as I've started the home schooling journey.  After much searching and prayer, I feel like I've found a curriculum that feels right for me and my kids.  It wasn't an easy decision and I have spent months trying to take all the pieces and see which one is a good fit.  But you know how you just get that sense of peace that can't be explained any other way but that it's God?  Well, that is exactly what has happened.

So for those of you interested, I chose Heart of Dakota.  I love the Christ-centered approach and the learning that takes place through history and Bible reading.  And since I am the teacher, I love the easy to follow lesson plans!  Heart of Dakota carries a lot of the same philosophies as the Charlotte Mason approach which I also love.  Her method centers around the idea that education is three-pronged: Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life.  The Heart of Dakota curriculum focuses around God's word and instilling Godly character in our children while learning through many different facets.  I love that!  I love the idea that the classroom isn't limited to a table, a chair, and a book.

I am also incorporating the interest led approach.  While we must do math, reading, etc., I want to encourage the areas that the kids are really interested in.  Hence, the brain that you see in the photo...Joshua's really interested in science!

Since deciding on a curriculum, I have spent weeks gathering readers and necessary books from resale shops, and now we are ready to start on Monday!  The kids were jumping for joy when I announced the big day.  I know there will be some challenges and bumps in the road, but I am definitely excited!

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Yea!! Well done with the shopping, and it's so great that your kids are excited to get started, and that you are, too. Enjoy!!

    Did you know that a Christian homeschooling family from Germany recently sought and received asylum in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, so I sent my email before reading this post. Glad to hear the kids are excited about starting. I hope it's fun and not too stressful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think choosing the curriculum is one of the harder aspects of home schooling. Yay that you found one that fits your family.

    You are going to be surprised at how much you end up learning...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exciting! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like you have found a perfect match! Let us know how everything goes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent choice!!! I anticipate hearing more !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll be a great teacher, Jen. God will guide you, his "chosen one" for his little Prices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of Homeschooling always makes me nervous, then I remember it is very Natural for mother to Mother that way... I am sure you'll do a great job and plus all that creativity you've got will make those lessons very lovely♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great adventures in homeschooling ahead :o) It sounds like you all will have a lot of fun :o)

    Our three have had the full spectrum of types of education...homeschooled a number of years and at various times... they have attended small Christian schools, private schools, huge public schools, Dept of Defense schools, medium sized public schools...being military, we experienced the variety depending on where we lived. They loved when they were homeschooled. Through out it all, I was very involved at every school...that was why I ended up being the oldest in my dental hygiene program! Oh well...I waited til our girls were in college and our last child was in high school, before my school days really begun. (I miss those years when they were little :o)

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really ironic (or not?) that the ad at the bottom of this post was an "alternative dating site" called "Goth".. I don't know if you can see the picture but it's... um... interesting!

    I'm glad you found a program you like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook