The Market

1:19 AM

market in ottawa

the market

I love the market. The sights. The smells. The colors. The freshness.  It's like an explosion of the senses.  Wonderful, isn't it?  Here's an explosion for you from our trip to the downtown Ottawa market.

produce

quebec strawberries

Now in all my life, I have never heard of fiddleheads.  Curiosity got the best of me and I had to ask the kind lady what they were.  Apparently it is a Canadian thing (Canadian friends you can correct me if I'm wrong).  She informed me that they come from the fern plant and it's popular to fry them.  Hmmm...

local fiddleheads

fiddleheads

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I had heard of fiddlehead ferns, but never knew them as a gastronomic delicacy. Love all those hanging baskets of flowers. What a gorgeous market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of fiddleheads! So crazy looking. Thanks for such gorgeous pictures of the market!!
    So beautiful, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiddleheads are fabulous, aren't they? I have known them all my life - but not until recently have I learned you can eat them! I know a woman in VT who grows ferns just to have fiddleheads in her salads. They really are quite good! And we aren't Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiddleheads are not a Canadian thing. They are an eastern thing. I grew up in Western Canada and never heard of fiddleheads but when we moved to Maine I was introduced to them. Fiddleheads are common all along the northeast though I wouldn't consider Ottawa the northeast. Such nice photos of the market.

    renee @ FIMBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of them either! Wonder what they taste like. I guess anything is pretty good fried :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love going to the market! Especially when I'm traveling and get to check out what other places have to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun market!! Great pictures:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook