World Cup 2010

1:17 AM



Now I don't call myself a soccer fan, but there's a part of me that can't believe the FIFA World Cup is starting today in S. Africa, and we're not there.  I mean I know we are where we are supposed to be, but this is a huge event in S. African history and we're not there experiencing it.  There's been so much build-up leading up to this event ever since we moved to SA three years ago.  We've seen airports transformed, stadiums built, new shopping centers going up, and new roads constructed.  It's a big deal, and S. Africa is excited to host this important event.

The one consolation I find is remembering back to the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.  I was there, and it was crazy.  Our team was there for ministry purposes, and it was a lot of work and not enough sleep.  I said I never wanted to be near an Olympic event ever again in that capacity.  Great attitude, huh?  I do hope it is a fun time for our team there and that they even get to see some games!  (We have 8 games being played in our region.)

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I just love how most of the world goes nuts over soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, I was there for all of the Vancouver Olympics buildup, and my taxes even paid for it, but we moved away before the event - I would have loved to volunteer there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're wishing we were there too - or at least had TV so we could watch it!

    I was in SA when they hosted/won the 1995 Rugby World Cup - that was awesome... And that was my intro to rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be there! I'm sorry you feel lonely for Africa at times, specially when something just spells it out boldly such as this. But,like you say, your here now and where you are to be and returning will be all the sweeter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has been so amazing to see it all on TV, I can't imagine what excitement it is in person...How nice that you were able to see some of the transformation of these towns!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook