Repurposing A Dress :: Project #4

1:18 AM

the fabric

I've always loved the idea of re-purposing but never really did it.  Inspiration came when I saw this post.  I was totally ready to re-purpose!  I ventured to Salvation Army on half price clothing day.  My plan was to find a dress with a cute print and make a purse for my sister-in-law for her birthday.  She's an orange and red kind of gal, but I couldn't find anything I liked in those colors.  This dress caught my eye; I think it was the earthy feel with the green and blue.

before re-purposing

In my head, I had grand plans for this dress.  I was going to use the zipper and make a purse that zipped with a strap and everything.  Unfortunately time was not on my side and I had to reluctantly scale down some of those plans.

drawstring bag

I guess I really shouldn't say "unfortunately" because I am happy with the end result...a cute little drawstring bag.  It's just perfect to hold the set of paints that are coming with it.

paints

When you have a sister-in-law that can paint like this...

by anneke

...you have to keep her stocked with paint! :)

After the bag was finished, I consulted my expert stylist, Emma G, for advice on some embellishments.  She carefully chose 4 buttons to which I sewed on to be the center of the flowers!

a button

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Nice! Love the buttons at the center of the flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those buttons are the perfect touch! Cute bag, and your SIL is a very talented artist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so creative and talented...as is your sister-in-law. What a cute re-purposing of a dress and what a beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, that's genius! and her painting ... wow! You both are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the repurposed dress, thats really great! That picture she painted is wow... gosh...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, one of the first things that I remember "repurposing" was a night gown that I had when Kelly was born. She loved the feel of the gown and so I took it and cut it up and made pillows out of it and she would sleep with it. As a teen, she still had it and still used it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook