Whole Wheat Pancakes

1:11 AM

pancakes

Jeremy and I have been trying lately to eliminate all white flour in our diet.  I don't buy white bread, only whole grain, but we've tried to take it a step further.  I'm always trying new pancake recipes.  I find that most whole wheat pancake recipes contain some amount of white flour, and if they don't, then the pancakes come out pretty dense.  I think I've found a whole wheat pancake recipe that I'm really happy with.  Who knows, though, I might find another one that I like better.  I went by this one but of course, made some changes.  Here's my changed recipe...

1/2 cup wheat germ
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup milk (if the batter seems too thick, you can add more)
2 T apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together.  In separate bowl, combine rest of ingredients.  Add to dry mixture and mix well.  Cook in pan.

I don't understand why you have to add sugar when you top them with all that sweetness.  I prefer honey and berries on top.  It's just the right amount of sweet for me!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. We use the pancake recipe from the Best Recipe cookbook, simply replacing whole wheat flour for white, and it turns out terrific. But it has a lot of butter instead of apple sauce... We might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can get wheat germ....any recomendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! My grandma always made delicious whole wheat pancakes for us when we came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! Dave and I try not to have much white flour or white sugar in our diets either!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook