shedding insecurity, embracing creative authority

12:22 AM

As I've pursued photography and blogging, I've been reluctant to say with confidence, "I'm a photographer," or "I'm a writer."  Jeremy recently stumbled upon a post from Donald Miller's blog titled A Creator Must Believe He Has the Authority to Create.  In the post he talks a lot about the movie, The King's Speech, starring Colin Firth.  Although I haven't seen the movie, I know a bit of what's it about.  These three lines of his post really spoke to me, "The King could not be King until he himself believed he was fit for the role. The throne meant nothing unless it meant something to the King. The people would not follow the King unless the King stepped into the authority they had given him."

Why am I reluctant to label myself photographer or writer?  It's not because I dislike labels.  No, it's rooted in that ugly thing called insecurity.  But you know what?  I AM a writer.  I AM a photographer.  And the exciting part is that I am constantly growing in these loves of mine.

Speaking of growth, this photographer has been participating in a very fun e-course, The Joy of Love (it's rolling admission so you can still sign up if you want).  Every day you receive an assignment and a tip via email.  It's been lots of fun!  My assignments and photos so far...

what they do : homework
what they do : homework (2)

what they do : homework (1)

and what they do: they eat
what they do : they eat (2)

how they look : our linus
how they look : our linus

how they look : in the morning

then and now : my guitar playing husband
then & now : guitar playing husband

then & now : husband and guitar

The last one was tricky because I don't have many photos with me and certainly not old ones.  My first thought, though, when I thought of then and now was when I first met Jeremy to now, married 11 years, and how his love, talent, and heart for worship and song writing has grown.  It reminds me of the fabulous journey of growth that happens with time.  I'll be sharing more assignments and photos with you next week!  Have a great weekend and don't forget to enter the love{ly} Valentine's Day giveaway!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. How incredible to learn and grow and do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for commenting on my blog... we do seem to have a lot in common! I hope you are enjoying your furlough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of you any differently than a photographer and a writer/journalist/missionary but your right, its sometimes difficult to have the confidence to shout it boldly.
    As always, love love love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this post! Great pictures by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. have you read The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook