sneak peek friday :: videographer?

1:12 AM

When I was asked to do photography for our church's VBS, I thought, "Yeah!  That will be fun!"  I showed up Monday evening ready to capture beautiful smiles, laughing faces, and fun times.  I did capture those things but with different equipment than I had in mind.

The children's ministry leader informed me that they didn't have anyone to do video, and could I do that instead.  He kindly informed me that he had the utmost confidence in my ability to do it (which I really appreciated), so I nervously said, "Sure."

pandamania!

I have never done video (other than short filmings of my precious kids).  I am not a videographer, hence my hesitation, but I did it knowing that it would be stretching, and stretching always brings more growth.  I am learning to take these opportunities that are presented despite the fears and insecurities that may be going on inside.

As artists, I can't help but wonder how many times we are held back because we feel our abilities will prevent the final product from being perfect.  I know I struggle with that so much.  But I am continually learning to step out, perfect or not, because once again it's a part of this creative journey I'm on with a creative God!

fun @ vbs

Two days in, I started feeling a little more comfortable with this different equipment, relaxed my shoulders a bit, and even enjoyed something new.  Then I was asked to do interviews which brought a whole new element of stretching.  So.not.me.  But you know what I learned?  I was so out of my comfort zone behind the camera, but I think those that I was interviewing felt even more out of their comfort zone.  After I realized that it wasn't about me, I tried to walk in confidence and do my best to encourage those that I was interviewing.  That's my learning curve.  Thankfully, I don't have to do final edits.  That's an even greater step of growth!  One step (or maybe two) at a time...

Linking up with Jennifer @ Studio JRU for Sneak Peek Friday.

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. I'm sure you'll do a great job! And how exciting to learn a new skill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic to get the chance to try something new - that may give you different angles in photography too! Fun! :-)

    I´ll better become your follower now so I can keep track of your new adventures..! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's neat to see what happens when God stretches us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your did great. What a great way to learn something new, then to just jump in and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you realised you could encourage others to feel more comfortable even though (or maybe even especially because) you felt uncomfortable yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get so nervous at times like this, but afterward, I'm so proud of myself for doing it. I'll bet you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Jen! It doesn't matter what the new thing is, the lesson is always the same: trust, grow and keep moving forward with Him. It sounds like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun way to stretch the wings! A great reminder to us all, of God's creative push for us.:D
    The photo's are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm....I wonder what God will be doing with you in regards to this new adventure. how exciting! You were probably the perfect person to help others be comfortable in front of the camera, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun...I saved a quote this week that speaks to this...something like the area that we feel the most resistance to is the area we are being called to grow in...I think you achieved the growth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get a good program to do your video editing...it's really fun. I've done many a video of my kids myself and then my daughters and friends started creating their own short videos. Great memories.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-quTYLfBdPI

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true what you say about how "it's not about you" and how it's about making them comfortable. Just like public speaking...when you remember that you know more than most of those listening to you and that you are there to share what you do know then it's much easier to relax into the process. So happy for you for taking this experience and working through all your fears. Hope you have a wonderful week. Fondly, Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steps are good . . .
    Congratulations on growing that comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go girl!! I totally understand holding myself back because of how I see my abilities. Yay for you accepting this challenge and then fully embracing it like you did. I'm sure it is going be great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I would love to learn as well. You have totally inspired me to step into a new challenge. What a great place to learn as well...children alive in God's word and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook