dallas at night

1:12 AM

I haven't done a lot of night photography.  I guess it's mainly because the thing that makes night photography cool (in my opinion) are lights and in our small suburb, lights and night life are pretty non-existent.  Our romantic getaway to the big D found us checking out the pool after dark.  I was a little disappointed that the water was cold and there was no hot tub.  However the trip to the terrace wasn't totally in vain, because my eye caught some very cool night shots.  I didn't have my tripod with me, but the ledge provided the stillness I needed.

reflection

cool building w/cars

the ball

looking over the ledge

Have you practiced with night photography?  In my limited experience with it, I find that a tripod or something to put your camera on is a must.  A wireless remote would be ideal to avoid even more camera shake.  Set your camera to manual mode and play around with the shutter speed.  A slow shutter speed will pick up the lights and cause car lights to look like a line (as in the second photo), and the camera on a tripod will make the rest of the photo crisp and clear.  I also like to set my ISO as low as I can to avoid grainy looking photos.

Linking up with Communal Global for Sneak Peeks around the world and Weekly Kodachrome at Adventures & Misadventures

Be sure to enter the My Memories digital scrapbooking giveaway!

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I haven´t that much but I´d like to - especially when I see cool pics like these! I think they turned out just great, especially love the first one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! I think those turned out wonderfully. And yes, lights are a must for night photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I think the Dallas skyline will always be my favourite.

    I just have a point and shoot, but I eliminate camera shake by using a tripod or other sturdy surface plus the delay timer to take night photos so I'm not touching the camera at all when the photo is taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried holding the camera for night pictures, and it definitely doesn't work for me! I need to try with a tripod! Your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cityscapes with a night light and delicious excellent reflexes, truly magical. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't played with taking pics at night for so many reasons; the most important is that they never turn out! Your pics my dear are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen, Your pics are amazing! I tried taking some the other night & struggled..definitely need to invest in a tripod. Just found your site & excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you nailed it when you said to try to keep the ISO to a low number...I try to avoid the grain as much as I can, but sometimes I just can't help but have it.

    Very nice images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be so fun to do night photography there. Awesome shots. I am actually writing about tips and tricks of night photography to post tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! My favorite is the last one. Love the angles.

    By the way, I don't think I have ever asked you this. What kind of camera do you use? I am getting ready to get DSLR and I want to get one that I am happy with for awhile.

    Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous shots! I haven't done much night shooting, but my husband is a night photographer. Here's a link to some of his work if you'd like to see (http://www.burnblue.com/photography/night/). I know he would definitely agree about the tripod being essential and he sets his ISO at 200.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots! Dallas is a great place for night photography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cool! I need to get better at night photography!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos. Almost makes me want to take a trip there. Thanks for the tips on taking good night shots. Mine usually end up a bit blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your photos are amazing. everything looks so bright and electrifying. i would love to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook