day at the fair :: fried bubble gum?

1:10 AM

Because I have this love for fall, I really wanted to go to the State Fair this year.  I had never been, and it just felt like a fall thing to do (although it was pretty hot the day we went).  We had three free tickets so we teamed up with some friends, rode the DART in, and had a fun day out!

baby pigs

petting the animals

Rides are insanely expensive so while we let the kids ride a few, we tried to take advantage of the free things like the petting zoo (I was a little nervous for the people trying to hand feed the ostriches...after living in S. Africa, you won't see me going near one) and the Texan sampling where we got some free ice cream and sampled some amazing hot sauce.

ride at the fair

I'm not one for fried food, but I don't know that you can go to the fair and eat something non-fried.  Non-fried is simply not on the menu.  Jeremy and I shared a turkey leg, and we decided to all share fried bubble gum.  It was, after all, given the award for the most creative at the fair this year.  I'm still not totally sold on a fried marshmallow that tastes like bubble gum, but it was fun to at least try.

eating a turkey leg

mom & jman

fried bubble gum

jman eating fried bubble gum

eg eating fried bubble gum

jeremy eating fried bubble gum

fried bubble gum

The kids were happy to each win one prize to take home, a football for Josh and a blue bear for Miss Emma.  The girl has really been into blue lately although I think she also chose it because it matched her shirt. :)

kicking the football

skipping along

Although we didn't ride it, you can't go to the state fair and not take a ferris wheel photo. I can't decide if I like it better at night or during the day.  What do you think?

ferris wheel

I think my favorite part, though, was the pottery the kids made.  Joshua made a bowl and Emma G a vase.  I'm hoping to take them in to the store soon to get fired.  They did such a good job!

making a bowl

Linking up with Communal Global for Sneak Peeks Around the World! Be sure to enter my giveaway to win Brennan Manning's first children's book, Smack Dab In The Middle of God's Love.  It would make a great Christmas gift!

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I'm glad it was a marshmallow and not real gum!!!

    Though I think I prefer the night photo, it was fun to see the Texas flag icon in the middle of the ferris wheel. :)

    I've been hyping my kids up on the Lone Star State ever since the Rangers made it to the World Series... Not that they have any idea what baseball is, but it's the first time MY team is facing BEN's team in the playoffs. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I LOVE to go to the State Fair, but we couldn't squeeze it in this year. We always try the new 'fried' items. It is crazy what all they will fry! I never go without 1) getting bread pudding made from cinnamon rolls, Best Ever Bread Pudding (I think) and 2) watching the bird show, which is free and the most amazing thing!! If you go back next year, try to catch that. You and your kids will love it!! have a great week! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how you would fry real bubble gum!

    The ferris wheel is huge! I always love them lit up at night, but you got a great day photo, too.

    And so funny that Emma Grace picked a bear to match her shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried bubble gum?! Lol..what will they come up with next? Gotta love the State Fairs. I definitely like your Ferris Wheel shot at night the best. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you guys had such a fun time! Your Ferris Wheel pics are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fair! We didn't make it this year, so it was fun experiencing it through your eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all so fun and colorful! I love the fried bubblegum shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I saw a guy on TV at a fair and he was trying different food and he tried Chocolate dipped Bacon and chocolate pickles it seemed so wrong!! But the bubblegum looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very fun day! Nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fried bubble gum? I had no idea that was even possible. Loved viewing your fair pictures. I feel like I just went on a nice little trip to the fair. : ) I think the ferris wheel is always pretty. The night ligts make me smile big : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure how I feel about fried bubble gum, but I suppose that how it goes at the fair...anything on a stick, right? Looks like the kids had a pretty fun day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures, I especially love the photo of the wheel with a beautiful frame.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous photos ~ looks like you had a wonderful family day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fried bubble gum, now that sounds, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to spend the day, looks like so much fun. Serious case of envy here :-) Love the photos great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know what I have to try one fine day -- fried bubble gum! :)

    As for the ferris wheel -- I love both the day and night photos. Thanks for sharing all these great shots. It felt as if I spent the day at the fair with you guys.

    Hugs,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook