our annual gingerbread house

12:21 AM

I can't remember when I started the tradition of the kids and I decorating a gingerbread house, but it was several years ago, when we lived in Connecticut.  I'm so glad I did, because they (and myself) look forward to it every year.  I'm going to do it and cherish it for as long as they enjoy it!

gingerbread house

Sunday, in the midst of cold weather and Christmas music, we set to work.  Usually I do all the frosting and the kids stick the candy on, but this year, Joshua asked to be frosting man.  It almost felt like the recent Cosby Show episode I watched where Theo is old enough to carve the Thanksgiving turkey.  He did a great job!

the artists

We always use a little corn starch to help smooth out the frosting on the roof.  This year we also sprinkled sea salt on the house.  It looks like beautiful flakes of snow!  Joshua also got the idea to make little snowmen.  I love how he improvised with what we had...toothpicks, DOTS, and frosting!

being silly

Thankfully they are past the age of taking candy off and eating it but they sure do like to be silly and pretend!

StudioJRU

Linking up with Jennifer @ Studio JRU for Sneak Peek Friday.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. That is so cute - love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun, and I love the welcome mat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious photos, Jen! Amanda and I considered starting the Ginger Bread House with the Little Men, and decided there would be no stopping the eating of the candy yet... so, we've put that on the list for starting a little further down the line. ;) You guys made a beautiful one and I really like the idea of the sea salt snow. Carry on! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love the Idea and I have to say well done, it looks lovely!
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute craft to do with your children! I love family traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your gingerbread house! I made one with my kids one time, but that's a great tradition to do every year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photos of them being silly! We plan to decorate gingerbread houses, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! We make an annual gingerbread house, too! It has been a tradition in my family for decades. In fact, I am hosting a gingerbread creation contest on my site coming up on the 14th. You should come over and check out the crazy creations! Your kids will love it! I am making Wayne Manor this year with the batman cave inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!! What a great tradition. Last year my roommates made one that had a little hot tub in front. ~Frances

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a neat tradition! And it looks so cute! Joshua did a great job with the frosting. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute!! I love traditions ~ I don't know why we never started decorating gingerbread houses! I wonder if it's too late to start!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a "s w e e t" post~ no pun intended! I love these kinds of traditions! Your kids are adorable! heart warming post...thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this tradition! I keep meaning to do this with my girl. And your pics capture why = LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook