this season of lent

12:00 AM

"I feel like I'm supposed to give up dark chocolate for Lent." "Whoaaaaaa," was my husband's response. It was like a drawn out, monotone sound. I think he was probably weighing the consequences of it. Would I turn into a bear without my favorite sweet? No, I think he knew I heard from God and that it was serious business.

You see, I'm the one that takes pictures like this...

dark chocolate

And tweets things like this...

chocolate tweet

The first day I almost failed as I reached into the cabinet to grab a few chocolate chips. You know, for a little pick me up during the afternoon lull. Thankfully my heart reminded me that chocolate was a no no for the next 40 days. That's also when I realized that I've been turning to chocolate for comfort when I'm stressed or when it's that time of the month or when I just want to make myself feel better. Basically, I'm turning to the wrong thing.

I recently read Eugene Cho's post titled "'I didn't ask you to give up coffee. I asked you to surrender your life.' - God." Wow! What a powerful article about giving in to God. He talks about giving up something without taking up something more significant. If we give up something just to give it up, then it becomes religion. I've been reading a lot of the Old Testament lately, so this really resonated with me. It's so easy to practice the right things and it not ever affect your heart.

To be honest, this is the first time I've ever observed Lent. I'm looking forward to giving in and going deeper with God, not just losing a few pounds because I've given up chocolate.

Are you observing Lent? If so, what have you given up?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This is so good, Jen...and really strikes a chord with me in so many ways. I am going to be pondering this for a bit...I needed the reminder about the reason and not the religion of it ... I think that may be one reason {aside from health issues} that I pulled away from fasting. It began to feel like a religious mantra in my head. Thank you..thank you...thank you for this perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I gave up novels and the positive repercussions in my life continue on and on. I was going to give up blogging this year, and then my blog got hacked. I guess I'll take that as confirmation that I should be focussing elsewhere this Lenten season rather than on my favourite hobby...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past, I have given up different things... for the most part now, for me, it is about practicing awareness of God in the moments of my life... I fail so many times... get all caught up in the frenzy or busy-ness... I keep trying though. Because, when I do "remember" Him in every moment, my life is changed in a way that there are no words to describe.

    blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adding things in - spending more time doing spiritual things with my daughter - devotions and crafts to remind us about Lent and Jesus' sacrifice. I'm also trying to stay off the computer so much and do more housework.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one yr I took only cold showers....yuk! gave me an appreciation for things I take for granted.
    last yr i ate breakfast without doing anything else...no reading the newspaper, no checking emails....made me more mindful and thankful.
    happy Lent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the right perspective on it! I love when you said, "It's so easy to practice the right things and it not ever affect your heart." I've definitely been in that place before, and it's such a shame! I pray that God blesses you with Himself during this season of Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great Lent sacrifice - one I should try, some year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am replacing some 'not so great for me' things with 'brings me closer to Him' things for Lent this year. It is a great time to refocus for me. That post sounds interesting... thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts

TTH Facebook